Wednesday 8 February 2012

The Battle against Condensation

The average UK household, apparently, produces 12 litres of unwanted humidity per day. Judging by the amount of condensation that has been dripping down my windows during this cold weather, I think I must be an above average UK household.

I am guilty of drying clothes over radiators, forgetting to turn on the extractor fan when I'm cooking and  boiling the kettle several times a day to satisfy my caffeine needs. There is also a lot of showering that occurs during the course of the week and all of these activities are going to create humidity.

The best remedy would be to throw open the windows and give the house a good airing but who wants to lose all their precious heat on a cold winter's day? And if it is miserable and rainy, throwing open the window isn't likely to help much anyway.

As well as the condensation, I have had occasional problems with mould and musty smells and am willing to believe the likelihood of increased air borne allergens.

The Humidity Absorber by Unibond claims to reduce the amount of humidity in a room by up to 30%. I was sent the small Humidity Absorber (RRP £13.99) to try.

I was wondering where was the best place to position my Humidity Absorber to put it to the test when my daughter ran into a condensation problem in her new house worse than anything I was experiencing. The condensation on one cold wall had caused the newly applied emulsion to drip down onto the skirting board. We decided that the Humidity Absorber would be put to best use there.


The unit has three components: the tank with a level window so you can see how much liquid has collected, the top of the device with a slatted grid for air circulation and the 2in1 Power Tab that fits into the top. The Power Tab is the important bit that actually converts any excess humidity into a salty solution which then collects in the tank. The 2in1 aspect is that it also neutralises odour. It is an irritant so care must be taken when handling and it is vital that it is kept  out of reach of children.


One Power Tab should last approximately 6-8 weeks and two are provided. Additional Power Tabs can be purchased in twin packs (RRP £7.99)

The components fitted together into a sturdy unit that sat relatively discretely on the window sill where we left it to do its job. The blue liquid collecting in the tank is evidence that something is happening!


When the Tab is fully dissolved, the tank can be emptied and a replacement Tab inserted into the top.

It is too early to say how effective it will be in combatting the condensation problem in this particular room but it is obviously going to go some way towards improving it.

I imagine that in musty rooms with poor air circulation this would offer a huge benefit.

A large Humidity Absorber designed for rooms up to 20 square metres is also available at the RRP of £19.99 (Tab refills £9.99) at leading home stores and supermarkets.

1 comment:

  1. Wow! Thank you! I constantly wanted to write on my blog something like that. Can I take a part of your post to my website?
    Soho Pink Window Treatment Panels - Set of 2

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...